Financial freedom is defined as the ability to live for the rest of your life without having to work for money.
You wanted my top 5 rules to be financially free, but I’m giving you a bonus of five, so what do you have to lose?
These are NOT exactly the 10 rules for financial freedom used in conventional wisdom, but they work for me.
- Avoid getting a job at all cost. Never trade your time for money. You’ll just be setting yourself up to become a slave for someone for the rest of your productive life. It is better to suffer the inconvenience of going broke initially, but in the end it pays dividends.
- Don’t start a business. Find a customer. Forget your passion for the moment and find out what the customer wants and deliver value. The customer will give you the money to enjoy your passion. My definition of business is different from the definition by 99% of the people out there. I define business as “a customer”. And customer is business. PERIOD. Don’t waste precious time chasing jobs that don’t exist. Instead find a customer. A customer is simply anyone who needs a service.
- Don’t save money. Instead you should invest money. Saving is a terminology used by the poor to give free money to the rich. Learn the terminology of investing. Investing is a terminology used by the rich to become richer.
- Set up a system. Never operate without a system. A system is simply a way or ways to deliver goods and services to a customer. In the modern day and age, offices are not part of the system. They’re sometimes considered an inconvenient bureaucracy which intimidates customers.
- Empower yourself by developing a reading habit. Self-improvement is key. Read. Read. Read. Read business books. Read investment books. Read biographies of the rich. Read entrepreneurship books. Read survival books and guides. Read philosophy books. Read story books. Read history books. Learn what the rich do by studying their philosophies. Understand their way of thinking and you’ll be nearer to financial freedom than 99% of the people out there.
- Don’t go on holiday or vacation at the same time as 99% of the people do. Majority of them are employees on annual vacation. By this time costs of air fares are high, hotels are fully booked and vacation places are overcrowded. Instead find the most-in-demand goods or services during vacations and holiday seasons and make money while others are spending. When it’s your turn to go on holiday, cost of air fares will be low, hotels will be cheap and you’ll enjoy true privacy with your family or spouse.
- There are two types of people in the world, my friend – Consumers and suppliers. Make sure you’re always be on the supplier side.
- Never borrow money to finance consumption. Always borrow money to finance investment.
- Avoid gossip. It only wastes precious time and sucks your brains out of you.
- You can’t choose your parents but you can choose your friends. Make the most of it by choosing mentors and the type of friends who have more knowledge than you.