Lie #1: Work hard and you will succeed!
- False… In the Digital Age, hard work is NOT good enough anymore!
- We may work 24/7, but if our business model is irrelevant or outdated, there’s no way to achieve success.
- Strategy wins wars, NOT brute force.
Lie #2: You need to know everything about business to succeed!
- False… Entrepreneurship is the art of putting a puzzle together, not doing everything ourselves.
- Success in business is achieved because of teamwork, NOT because of one superstar.
- Great entrepreneurs surround themselves with amazing people that join forces to execute his/her vision.
Lie #3: You need a College Degree / MBA to succeed!
- False… Entrepreneurship is about having a deep understanding of a problem/hurt/need of a market and building a business model around it to deliver the solution to the market.
- Most college and MBA skills are focused on managing a business, NOT creating / putting together / starting a business.
- Successful entrepreneurs are focused on their customers, NOT on their management skills.
Also read: Africans; You Can Now Accept Paypal in Your Business with this New Flutterwave Partnership with Paypal
Lie #4: You need money to succeed!
- False… The most valuable company on earth was started in a garage (Apple) NOT in a fancy office.
- Michael Dell started in a college dorm room, NOT on Shark Tank.
- Entrepreneurship is all about taking action, and solving one problem at a time, NOT about selling investors false dreams.
- Money is attracted to value; deliver value and the money will come.
Lie #5: You need to invent a product or service to succeed!
- False… Inventions without a business model are just breakthroughs, NOT businesses.
- Innovations are very difficult to be introduced to the market. Instead, find ways to innovate on how you deliver value to your customer.
- Focus on paying customers, NOT what you believe customers need.