There are around 3000 billionaires in the world.
Around 36 million millionaires in the world.
And the world population?
Around 8,000,000,000 i.e. around 8 Billion. (Look at that ratio of population vs rich population.) (Yeah, it’s a metaphor, still, the difference is huge)
Of all those riches, around 70% are Self-made.
Yes, seventy percent billionaires are self-made vs thirty percent inherited.
So, what do they do that makes them different?
Now, this gets tricky here, they invest not only in terms of money.
Let us see,
Middle-class people (most of them) live in a different bracket.
And, not only in economic terms but in terms of mindset.
Since childhood, they are directly or indirectly raised and programmed with this:
- Cut your dress according to your cloth
- Live within your means and resources
- It’s time to buy a new dress, increase your resources. How long will you sustain this mediocre life?
Here is what the middle-class guy does most of his life:
A middle-class guy works the 9–5 (or more)
He takes the local commute
Avoids buying expensive stuff (clothes, gadgets, other gimmicks)
Uses an electric fan instead of AC
He bargains for even a few bucks and is content when he succeeds.
He gets happy after he gets his salary that he earned with all his blood and sweat
He gets fancy for parties
He blames the rich, but he doesn’t see what they do
He invests in mutual funds, Gold (to be safe even if it gives almost no returns), penny stocks, budget real estate.
Yes, he gets a generous return on his investments but it is not impressive.
Here is what a rich guy does:
- His most valuable investment is the Time he invests it in. He knows its value, and he knows its impact. Which is why he knows there are better places and activities to gain its full potential.
- He always increases his sources of income which he does through various investment techniques like stocks, bonds, real estate, other investments. He doesn’t let his money be still.
The main money-making machine for a business magnate is his business & his knowledge. He increases his sources of Knowledge and then finds an idea to make it commercial. He invests heavily in bettering himself with Time.
I am not surprised why Bill Gates, Elon Musk and other legends still read a lot, increase their knowledge base, hang out with like-minded people when they can chill out on a private beach island sipping cocktails.
This doesn’t bring them money directly but it surely gives them the power and insight of being different and one step ahead than others and the money just follows.
They invest in bettering themselves in all aspects of their life and personality.
So, tips for middle-class people?
The best investment for a middle-class person is to invest in himself.
Invest in books, courses, certifications to gain new skills and the ROI would be insane.
(Tip: Read Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki)
For example, if you invest 100,000 with a 7% interest return you would make 7000 per year. In ten years it is only 70K.
However, if you invest the same amount of money or at least a major of it into gaining a new technical skill or knowledge it might take your annual or general income in a certain time frame up by 30–40% in some arenas of your job spectrum or more if you do business while knowing where to hit it right, it might give you a new brilliant idea that will compound with time which is a significant increase over a period of 10 years.
Yes, you may invest in stocks bonds or real estate too but, invest heavily on bettering your self. This works.
Some of you may argue, that luck and being at the right place at the right time matters. Though it may be true, only sometimes. What matters most is you got only one shot at life, what are you going to do about it?
Ask yourself, What value you create? That is what makes or will make a difference. Think Big.
- First and foremost, don’t get comfortable of being in a middle class, Never adopt the attitude of being middle class for a long time.
- Second, don’t complain about luck. Analyze, plan and execute to come out of middle class as soon as possible. As said by Bill Gates, “If you are born poor, it’s not your mistake. But if you die poor, it’s your mistake.”
- Increase your Knowledge.
- Learn skills that will double your income. That will increase your income streams. Acquiring skills is the best investment of money and time.
- Maximize your assets. Minimize your liabilities. (Asset – anything that brings out cash inflow for you is an asset, Liability – anything which brings cash outflow for you is a liability.)
- Poor class people buy luxury with the money they earn. Average class people buy luxury with the money they save. Rich class people buy luxury with their ROI.
- Make a blueprint to be rich in the next few years.
- If you have extra cash, why is it still in your bank? Invest it in stocks, real estate, mutual funds, index funds. Of course, study these areas deeply first.
- Build something for passive income.
- Be patient, because Compounding interest works in all aspects of life. Knowledge, Skills & of course Finances. It is Gold.
Once you understand the math behind investing in yourselves, you will give it the highest priority. Use your money to grow your selves better than yesterday.
Hope this proves helpful as a new insight to as many people out there.
written by Girish Deshmukh