Entries are open for the 2021 edition of Africa’s Business Heroes Competition. African entrepreneurs who are making a difference in their local communities are invited to apply.
About Africa’s Business Heroes
Launched by Jack Ma Foundation, Africa’s Business Heroes (ABH) is the flagship philanthropic program that supports African entrepreneurs working to solve the most pressing problems, and building a more sustainable and inclusive economy for the future.
The program is designed to scout, grow and encourage the next generation of African entrepreneurs who are creating a positive impact and driving African entrepreneurship.
To make the initiative as inclusive as possible, applications are open in English and French to citizens from all 54 African countries.
Annually, ten outstanding participants are chosen to compete in the ABH finale pitch competition and take part in a TV Show that will be broadcast online and across the continent. The finalists will then compete for a share of US $1.5 million in grant money.
Note that due to the pandemic, the Semi-Finale may be hosted online in August 2021. The Finale will be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia by the end of November and early December. This is subject to the global situation regarding COVID-19.
To qualify for Africa’s Business Heroes competition, you must
- Be a founder or Co-Founder of a business that is at least 3 years old;
- Have a traceable/provable African nationality;
- Have your business registered and headquartered in an African country, and primarily operates in Africa;
- Your company must have reached the post-Idea stage with at least 3 years of revenue history.
Please note that at various stages of the application, we require documents to prove your eligibility.
- Vision, Mission & Values
- The importance/magnitude of the problem/need you’re addressing
- The feasibility and value-add of your solution
- Market traction of your solution
- Competitiveness of your product/solution
- The feasibility of your revenue model and financial projections
- Leadership & Team Potential
- Social Impact – the tangibility and sustainability of the impact you’re creating
ANPI will also cover all costs related to the Semi-Final.
All ten finalists receive:
- Grant funds from $100,000 to $300,000;
- Participation at the eFounders fellowship training program at Alibaba’s headquarters;
- Gain global recognition & exposure;
- Access to mentorship & training by renowned business leaders;
- Access to an online community of ABH Alumni, judges, and key stakeholders that promotes peer learning, engagement, and networking;
- Opportunity to pitch to business legends and receive advice from them.
If you’re interested, please click here.
Applications will close on Wednesday, June 7th, 2021.