As a startup or Small Business, it is well understood that your Marketing/Advertising budget might be minimal and yes, you can’t even dear compete with the bigger brands with their HUGE advertising budget, but guess what; you can be smarter and still get a good chunk of the market.
Below are creative marketing ideas you can adopt in your business if you have got little or no marketing/advertising budget.
1. Create relevant content on your website. Blog categories or an on-site article directory are excellent for this. Fresh and helpful content helps engage readers, build valuable links, attract leads and convert them to new sales.
2. Try article marketing. Publishing articles online creates good backlinks to your website, shows expertise, builds credibility, and more. Its also relatively affordable and easy to outsource.
3. Write a book or ebook. Books have more value than most other types of content and establish your expertise. You can sell them or offer them for free in exchange for email addresses.
4. Sponsor a local sports team. Send out a press release or feature article and get your logo on the team uniforms. This makes you a valuable community member and builds awareness.
5. Speak at seminars and teach workshops. Youll get publicity from marketing the event and from the event itself.Besides, you will look more professional in your customers eyes.
6. Enter business award competitions. If you win, you get a badge on your website and a lot more sales. Even if you dont win, you can still get lots of publicity if you place high enough and broadcast your participation.
7. Host free events. Reporters are always looking for a good story. Give them what they want and get some free publicity by hosting a free event. Youll get more response if theres food or freebies involved.
8. Network at your local Chamber of Commerce. This is a classic marketing idea for small businesses because it can yield big dividends. Association with the Chamber will make your events more credible, and you can find new partners or clients, or discover opportunities to teach or speak. You can google Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) if you are a Nigerian residing in Lagos.
9. Build a referral network. Referrals and word of mouth are the most powerful advertising, so build relationships with professionals and other businesses you would happily refer your customers to–and who can send referrals your way, as well.
10. Be a people person. Never stop networking, follow all leads, and participate in conversations wherever you find them. Dont be afraid of the phone, internet, email, or face-to-face meetings.
11. Survey your customers for great ideas. Listen to what your prospects/customers are saying on Twitter and Facebook for honest market research. You can as well organise a survey program, using survey monkey and distribute to prospects.
12. Create a customer loyalty program to encourage future purchases and referrals.
What creative marketing ideas for small business have you tried? And which will you give a shot at? Let us know in the comment box below.